OOTIKOF / KATZENJAMMER

The OOTIKOF, an internationally renowned society of flamers since 1998, invites you to join in the fun.
Clicking on Casual Banter will get you to all the sections.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kamala Harris

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptySun Feb 24, 2019 1:22 am

Kamala Harris’ Grandmother Exposed as Plantation Slave Owner
February 23, 2019 Sean Adl-Tabatabai News, US

According to Kamala Harris’ father, the Democratic presidential hopeful’s great-grandmother was a Jamaican slave plantation owner who founded the city of Brown’s Town, Jamaica.

Former MTV VJ Adam Curry, read quotes directly from Harris’ father’s book, “Reflections of a Jamaican Father.”

Reflections of a Jamaican Father
By Donald J. Harris

As a child growing up in Jamaica, I often heard it said, by my parents and family friends: “memba whe yu cum fram”. To this day, I continue to retain the deep social awareness and strong sense of identity which that grassroots Jamaican philosophy fed in me.  As a father, I naturally sought to develop the same sensibility in my two daughters.  Born and bred in America, Kamala was the first in line to have it planted.  Maya came two years later and had the advantage of an older sibling as mentor.  It is for them to say truthfully now, not me, what if anything of value they carried from that early experience into adulthood.  My one big regret is that they did not come to know very well the two most influential women in my life: “Miss Chrishy” and “Miss Iris” (as everybody called them).  This is, in many ways, a story about these women and the heritage they gave us.

My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown’s Town) and to my maternal grandmother Miss Iris (née Iris Finegan, farmer and educator, from Aenon Town and Inverness, ancestry unknown to me).  The Harris name comes from my paternal grandfather Joseph Alexander Harris, land-owner and agricultural ‘produce’ exporter (mostly pimento or all-spice), who died in 1939 one year after I was born and is buried in the church yard of the magnificent Anglican Church which Hamilton Brown built in Brown’s Town (and where, as a child, I learned the catechism, was baptized and confirmed, and served as an acolyte).

Both of my grandmothers had the strongest influence on my early upbringing(“not to exclude, of course, the influence of my dear mother”Miss Beryl” and loving father “Maas Oscar”).

Miss Chrishy was the disciplinarian, reserved and stern in look, firm with ‘the strap’, but capable of the most endearing and genuine acts of love, affection, and care.

Kamala Harris Miss_chrishy
Miss Chrishy dressed up in her usual finery, standing in front of the home at Orange Hill, St Ann parish where I spent my early years

She sparked my interest in economics and politics simply by my observing and listening to her in her daily routine.

She owned and operated the popular ‘dry-goods store’ on the busy main street leading away from the famous market in the centre of Brown’s Town.  Every day after school, I would go to her shop to wait for the drive home to Orange Hill after she closed the shop.  It was here that she was in her groove, while engaged in lively and sometimes intense conversation with all who came into the shop about issues of the day.

Business was front and centre for her, a profession and a family tradition that she embodied and carried with purpose, commitment, pride, and dignity (next to her devotion to the church that, as she often said, her ancestor built).  She never paid much attention to the business of the farm at Orange Hill.  Her sons took care of that side of the family business.  Her constant focus was on issues that affected her business of buying and selling imported ‘dry goods’ as well as the cost of living, issues that required understanding and keeping up with the news – a task which she pursued with gusto. She was also fully in charge of ‘domestic affairs’ in our home and, of course, had raised eight children of her own at an earlier age.

There was a daily diet of politics as well.  She was a great admirer of ‘Busta’ (Sir William Alexander Bustamante, then Chief Minister in the colonial government and leader of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP).  She claimed, with conviction and pride, to be a “Labourite” (as members of the JLP were called) and for the interesting reason that, as she argued, “labour is at the heart of everything in life”.  Little did I know then, what I learned later in studying economics, that my grandmother was espousing her independently discovered version of a Labour Theory of Value!

Her philanthropic side shone through every Easter and Christmas when she had my sister Enid and me package bun and cheese (a favourite Jamaican Easter fare) and other goodies in little boxes that we carried and delivered to families living in the area around our home.

She died in 1951 at the age of 62.  Her departure left me, then only fourteen, with a deep sense of sadness and loss.

Miss Iris, mother of eight children too, was the sweetest and gentlest person one could meet, but underneath it was a tough farming woman who ran the cane farm at Thatch Walk (near Aenon Town) jointly owned with her husband “Mr Christie”.  She was always ready to go to church on Sunday to preach and teach about the “Revelations” she saw approaching the world at that time (during and after World War II) in accord with the Bible.

I spent summers with her, roaming around the cane field, fascinated by the mechanical operation of cane ‘juicing’ by the old method (a wooden pole extended out from the grinding machine and tied to a mule walking round and round to grind the cane), and eager to drink a cup of the juice caught directly from the juice flowing into the vat to be boiled and crystallized as ‘raw sugar’.  No Coke or Pepsi could beat the taste of that fresh cane juice!

It was a joy and a learning experience for me to hang out with the workers on the cane farm, see them wield a ‘cutlass’ (the machete) with such flourish and finesse, listen to their stories of exploits (some too x-rated for me to repeat), and sit with them as they prepared their meal by putting everything in one big ‘Dutch’ pot, cooking it over an open fire in the field and serving it out on a big banana leaf for all of us to eat sitting there.

Looking back now I can say, with certainty and all due credit to Miss Iris, that it was this early intimate exposure to operation of the sugar industry at the local level of small-scale production with family labour and free wage-labour, coupled with my growing curiosity about how these things came to be, that led me, once I started reading about the history of Jamaica, to a closer study of the sugar industry. I came then to understand its origin as a system of global production and commerce, based on slave labour, with Jamaica as a key component of that system from its very start.

Miss Iris died in 1981 at the grand old age of 93 and I grieved over the loss of someone so dear and close to me.  She is shown here in photo (taken by me in 1966), just back from church, proudly holding in her lap little Kamala, and confident in her firm prediction even then of the future achievements of her great-granddaughter (after giving her ‘blessings’ by making a cross with her finger on the child’s forehead).

From the start, I strived to retrace for my children the path on which I had traveled: from Miss Judah’s primary school at Top Road in Brown’s Town to Park School ‘Elementary’ just around the corner, to Titchfield High in Port Antonio, to University College of the West Indies (UCWI) then to Berkeley where Kamala was born, to Illinois where Maya was born, and subsequently to Cambridge University, Wisconsin, Yale, and Stanford.

Throughout this retracing, my message to them, from the lessons I had learned along the way, was that the sky is the limit on what one can achieve with effort and determination and that, in this process, it is important not to lose sight of those who get left behind by social neglect or abuse and lack of access to resources or ‘privilege’; also not to get ‘swell-headed’ (a favourite expression and command of Miss Chrishy); and that it is important to ‘give back’ with service to some greater cause than oneself. – DONALD HARRIS

Experiencing their Jamaican heritage

In their early years, I tried to convey this message in very concrete terms, through frequent visits to Jamaica and engaging life there in all its richness and complexity. In Brown’s Town, we walked the streets during ‘market day’, chatted up the ‘higglers’ in the market and were rewarded with plenty of ‘brawta’ (Jamaican word for bonus offerings) in naseberries, mangoes and guinep after each purchase.  We checked out the location of the old Park School which had become transformed into Brown’s Town Comprehensive High School, strolled into St. Mark’s Church and graveyard, and traversed the road up the hill to Orange Hill where my uncle Newton had taken over the family property and started a limestone mining and brick producing operation in addition to the cattle, grass, fruit and pimento farming of earlier times.

We drove up to Thatch Walk and worked our way, with lots of cuts and bruises, through the same cane fields where Miss Iris had run a thriving business in the ‘good ole days’ of sugar and, a long time before, had probably been part of a slave plantation. We played around on the lovely white sand of the beach at Dry Harbour and in the forceful but soothing waters of the world famous Dunns River Falls.

In Kingston, we visited the campus of the former UCWI, today The University of the West Indies ranked in the top 5% of world universities  (in my role then as member of the faculty) to view its remarkable physical setting in the misty morning light, the buildings comfortably spread out over the vast lands of the Mona Commons and against the imposing backdrop of the Blue Mountains.

In Port Antonio we visited my high school alma mater at Titchfield, still sitting there (as a powerful symbol of the privileged system of education that existed before the progressive reforms of the Manley era) at the end of the little peninsula overlooking Navy Island and in the historic setting of an ancient battery and cannons pointed out to sea to defend the harbour. We trekked over to the ruins at ‘Folly’, and to the ‘Blue Hole’, and took a swim at the exquisite little beach tucked away in a little cove at Fairy Hill.

Of course, in later years, when they were more mature to understand, I would also try to explain to them the contradictions of economic and social life in a ‘poor’ country, like the striking juxtaposition of extreme poverty and extreme wealth, while working hard myself with the government of Jamaica to design a plan and appropriate policies to do something about those conditions. The National Industrial Policy promulgated by the Government of Jamaica in 1996 and the Growth Inducement Strategy of 2011 were the outcome of that continued effort.

Now, far away in the diaspora in 2018, one of the most vivid and fondest memories I have of that early period with my children is of the visit we made in 1970 to Orange Hill. We trudged through the cow dung and rusted iron gates, up-hill and down-hill, along narrow unkempt paths, to the very end of the family property, all in my eagerness to show to the girls the terrain over which I had wandered daily for hours as a boy (with Miss Chrishy hollering in the distance: “yu better cum home now, bwoy, or else!”).

Upon reaching the top of a little hill that opened much of that terrain to our full view, Kamala, ever the adventurous and assertive one, suddenly broke from the pack, leaving behind Maya the more cautious one, and took off like a gazelle in Serengeti, leaping over rocks and shrubs and fallen branches, in utter joy and unleashed curiosity, to explore that same enticing terrain.  I quickly followed her with my trusted Canon Super Eight movie camera to record the moment (in my usual role as cameraman for every occasion). I couldn’t help thinking there and then: What a moment of exciting rediscovery being handed over from one generation to another!

This early phase of interaction with my children came to an abrupt halt in 1972 when, after a hard-fought custody battle in the family court of Oakland, California, the context of the relationship was placed within arbitrary limits imposed by a court-ordered divorce settlement based on the false assumption by the State of California that fathers cannot handle parenting (especially in the case of this father, “a neegroe from da eyelans” was the Yankee stereotype, who might just end up eating his children for breakfast!).  Nevertheless, I persisted, never giving up on my love for my children or reneging on my responsibilities as their father.

So, here we are now

Kamala Harris 3.-Kamala-with-my-granddaughter-Meena-and-me-%C2%A9-Donald-J

More at https://newspunch.com/kamala-harris-grandmother-plantation-slave-owner/
Back to top Go down
https://ootikof.forumotion.com
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Harris: Manafort Sentence ‘Further Evidence, in America’s Judicial System, of Absolute Unfairness’

While speaking on Friday, 2020 presidential candidate Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) criticized the sentence handed down to Paul Manafort as “further evidence” “of absolute unfairness” in the criminal justice system.

Harris said, “We are looking at further evidence, in America’s judicial system, of absolute unfairness, where white-collar versus other kinds of crimes does not — you know, this is what I say, people commit white-collar crimes, they should be prepared to bring their toothbrush and spend as much time behind bars as anybody else.”

For video, audio, and twitter comments (hundreds of them) see
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/03/08/harris-manafort-sentence-further-evidence-in-americas-judicial-system-of-absolute-unfairness/
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 8:47 am

Kamala Harris is latest 2020 Dem contender to release taxes
By JUANA SUMMERS, ALAN SUDERMAN and STEPHEN BRAUN
2 hours ago | AP

BALTIMORE (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris has released 15 years of tax returns, including her returns for 2018, and the California senator reports that she and her husband had a federal tax bill of about $700,000 on an adjusted gross joint income of about $1.9 million last year.

The documents released Sunday provide the fullest picture of her finances as she pursues a White House bid.

Harris reported an income of about $157,000 in 2018 from her job as a senator, as well as about $320,000 in net income as a writer; a book she wrote was published earlier this year. Her husband, Doug Emhoff, earned about $1.5 million working as an attorney.

Harris is the latest Democratic presidential contender to release her taxes. President Donald Trump has continued to refuse to release his since the 2016 presidential campaign, when he became the first nominee in decades to buck the tradition of disclosure. House Democrats are pressing for access to Trump’s tax returns, which would give lawmakers far greater insight into the president’s business dealings and potential conflicts of interest, as they exercise their oversight role.

Harris and her husband reporting giving a small portion of their income — often about 1% to 3% a year — to charitable causes. Harris reported no charitable contributions some years when she was California’s attorney general.

The Democrats who are running for president in 2020 have released their tax returns to varying degrees.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York released her 2018 tax return in late March and urged her colleagues to do the same. She was the first Democratic candidate to do so. Gillibrand has released her returns annually since 2012. That year, she released her returns dating back to 2007.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts released a decade of her tax returns, as well as her 2018 returns.

Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar this month released 12 years of tax returns, dating to 2006, when she first became a candidate for federal office.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who released just one year of tax returns when he ran for president in 2016, said more than a month ago that he would release a decade’s worth of returns. He and his campaign have said they will release his tax returns by Monday’s tax filing deadline.
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 7:16 am

Kamala Harris: Protester grabs microphone from 2020 candidate
2 June 2019

A leading Democratic candidate in the 2020 election was interrupted on-stage by a protester on Saturday.

Senator Kamala Harris was answering a question on equal pay when a man came and took her microphone from her.

Organisers of the California event she was speaking at have apologised. A number of other 2020 candidates were also in attendance.

The protester has been identified as a 24-year-old animal rights activist named Aidan Cook.

When taking the microphone from Ms Harris, the protester said he wanted her attention for a "much bigger idea" than the gender gap she had been speaking about.

Kamala Harris is one of more than 20 candidates running to be the Democratic party's presidential nominee
Social media users have been quick to point out the irony of a man interrupting Ms Harris whilst she was discussing her plans for equality.

A number of people, including the senator's husband, managed to help remove Mr Cook from the stage.

After his removal, Ms Harris returned to the debate and said she was "all good" despite the disruption.

MoveOn, the liberal advocacy group behind the event, have said they "sincerely regret" the security failing.

Video at https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48487984
Back to top Go down
louie

louie

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 7:52 am

Saying President kamala harshes my breakfast.
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Calculated Kamala? Harris accused of cashing in on segregation with $30 T-shirt
Published time: 29 Jun, 2019 15:37
Edited time: 1 Jul, 2019 10:57

Kamala Harris has been accused of ‘cashing in’ on her exchange with Joe Biden about segregation by selling $30 T-shirts with her face on it soon after the Democratic debate, causing some to call her calculated and “pandering.”

At the Democratic debate in Miami, Harris confronted former Vice President Biden about working with segregationist senators to oppose bussing children to schools to desegregate them, saying she had been bused to school as a child. The exchange was seen as one of her standout moments from the debate, and Harris later tweeted a photo of herself as a child. “There was a little girl in California who was bussed to school,” she wrote. “That little girl was me.”

Kamala Harris
✔
@KamalaHarris
There was a little girl in California who was bussed to school. That little girl was me. #DemDebate

8:11 PM - Jun 27, 2019

Her campaign was quick to cash in on the moment and started selling T-shirts with the photo of her as a child for $30 just hours after the debate.

Harris soon faced accusations of being “calculated” and disingenuous, with some expressing disappointment that she appeared to be using what had seemed to be a natural positive moment to make some money. Many also levied accusations that she was “pandering” to black voters.

“It makes your sentiment seem orchestrated,” a commenter wrote on her Instagram. “I legit just second guessed wanting to vote for her after seeing this,” another added.

“I do not feel comfortable giving money to someone who planned ahead of time to make shirts that attempt to discredit another candidate for her political gain,” read another criticism of the move.

While many of Harris’ supporters expressed their support for her and the T-shirt, others pointed out that her record as a prosecutor left a lot to be desired. “I hope Biden makes t shirts showing the faces of all the black people you have locked up for minor crimes like smoking pot,” one quipped.

Images and tweets at https://www.rt.com/usa/463016-kamala-harris-tshirt-debate/
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 1:04 pm

How Can Presidential Candidates Be So Silly?
National Review National Review•July 7, 2019

If California senator Kamala Harris is elected president in 2020 and reelected in 2024, by the time she leaves office 114 months from now she might have a coherent answer to the question of whether Americans should be forbidden to have what 217 million of them currently have: private health insurance. Her 22 weeks of contradictory statements, and her Trumpian meretriciousness about her contradictions, reveal a frivolity about upending health care’s complex 18 percent of America’s economy. And her bumblings illustrate how many of the Democratic presidential aspirants, snug in their intellectual silos, have lost — if they ever had — an aptitude for talking like, and to, normal Americans.

Seven days after announcing her candidacy in January, Harris, appearing on CNN, endorsed “Medicare for All” and was asked: So, people “who like their [private] insurance, they don’t get to keep it?” She answered: “The idea is that everyone gets access to medical care, and you don’t have to go through the process of going through an insurance company, having them give you approval, going through the paperwork, all of the delay that may require. . . . Let’s eliminate all of that.” More government, less paperwork. Really.

She subsequently, as the New York Times — not an unsympathetic auditor of her campaign — says, “waffled” regarding private insurance. But at the second Miami debate she raised her hand (“just as quickly as Mr. Sanders,” the Times reported) when a moderator asked: “Many people watching at home have health insurance through their employer. Who here would abolish their private insurance in favor of a government-run plan?” Harris also raised her hand just as quickly as Senator Elizabeth Warren had done the night before, who exclaimed, “I’m with Bernie.” Senator Bernie Sanders is the purest advocate of a government-only health care system.

The next morning on MSNBC, Harris said, “No, I do not” support ending private health insurance, claiming that she heard the pronoun “their” in the debate moderator’s question (see the paragraph above) as an ungrammatical reference to each individual candidate. This alibi might be less implausible if she had not recently said, in a detailed response to a Times inquiry about her health-insurance policy, that she favored abolishing private insurance.

One cannot unring a bell, and Harris cannot erase the fact that she has repeatedly said she wants to take from 217 million Americans — 80 million more than voted in 2016 — something most of them like. And she is striking at a core function of organized labor, which is to negotiate employer-provided health care as untaxed compensation.

Equally maladroit was her debate decision to wrap herself in an unpopular policy that ended 20 years ago. Nothing did more to fuel the conservative ascendancy in the 1980s than the 1970s enthusiasm of some judges and politicians for the compulsory busing of (other people’s) children away from their neighborhood schools, assigning children to schools on the basis of skin color in order to engineer a desired racial balance. In a 1973 Gallup poll, just 4 percent of whites and 9 percent of blacks chose busing from among a variety of means of achieving integration.

Yet Harris chose this issue as a cudgel with which to bludgeon Joe Biden. He, evidently lacking the courage of what once supposedly were his convictions, had neither the gumption nor the mental nimbleness to ask her whether, as president, she would favor reviving the compulsory busing of children away from homes that many parents, black and white, purchased because of their proximity to desirable neighborhood schools. Biden is becoming a conviction contortionist, as with his retreat from 40 years of support for the Hyde amendment. Suddenly he favors federal funding of abortions — forcing many taxpayers to be complicit in a practice they abhor.

Many Democrats striving to replace Donald Trump are, while execrating him, paying him the sincerest form of flattery: imitation. He prepared to campaign for president by calling America a “hellhole” and he began his presidency with an inaugural address that his would-be replacements are mimicking with their versions of his trope about “American carnage.”

The day the Supreme Court held that “partisan gerrymandering” is not a justiciable issue, Massachusetts representative Seth Moulton, yet another presidential candidate, tweeted: “Make no mistake: the partisan gerrymandering SCOTUS just allowed is also racial gerrymandering — modern-day Jim Crow. Just look at what happened with Stacey Abrams last cycle in Georgia.” Abrams lost a gubernatorial race. How can a statewide race be gerrymandered? How can presidential candidates be so silly?

(c) 2019, Washington Post Writers Group

Kamala Harris 1Qk4U7p

Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 7:01 am

2020 candidate Kamala Harris wants Wall Street to pick up the tab for her ‘Medicare For All’ plan
Published: July 30, 2019 8:05 a.m. ET | Reuters

Harris says her plan would raise “well over $2 trillion” over 10 years for health care.

As the summer rolls on and a crowded field of Democratic presidential candidates tries to stand out from the pack, fresh policy proposals appear nearly every week. There are nuances, of course, but one theme runs through many of the proposals: the finance industry should pay, whether it’s for health care, student debt, or, even just for being Wall Street.

On Monday, California Sen. Kamala Harris unveiled a plan for, in her words, “comprehensive health insurance that covers every American.” Harris wants an expanded version of Medicare, popularly known as “Medicare For All,” to accomplish that. And she wants to pay for it in part by taxing financial trading.

Harris says her plan — including taxing stock trades at 0.2%, bond trades at 0.1% and derivative transactions at 0.002% — would raise “well over $2 trillion” over 10 years.

‘Think of it like this: that’s a $2 fee on a $1,000 trade by investors and big banks.’
Sen. Harris, in an introduction to the plan.

Unlike an earlier proposal from Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, another 2020 candidate, the Harris plan would not tax families making under $100,000, and her trading tax would, Harris says, be “more than enough to make up the difference from raising the middle-class-income threshold.

See: As second set of debates grabs spotlight, here are the 25 Democrats running for president

Some analysts argue that it’s impossible to tax “Wall Street trading” without also impacting the retirement savings of millions of ordinary Americans, the funds they need to operate small businesses, and so on, as the tax could be passed on through fees, impacting overall returns.

The Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, a trade group, wrote up an analysis of what it calls “financial transaction tax,” in June. Among other things, SIFMA points out that “a typical mutual fund investor will have to save an additional $600 per year (a 12% increase in savings) or work an additional two years over their career to achieve his/her retirement goals” if the tax were 0.1% — and more if the tax were higher.

“Investors in an active small-cap equity mutual fund would see returns diminished by up to 1.62% annually,” the trade group said.

What’s more, points out Steve Blitz, chief U.S. economist for TS Lombard, some investors can look elsewhere if they don’t like the U.S. tax landscape. “I can trade anywhere in the world and markets can open up anywhere in the world and I can just move my money offshore,” he said.

Market maneuvering aside, Blitz thinks there are bigger problems with, as he puts it, “this idea of ‘I’m gonna tax this activity to pay for that.’”

Sanders, for instance, has his own proposal to “cancel all student debt” to be paid for by a “tax on Wall Street speculation.”

Democrats should be talking more about creating a strong, resilient economy, Blitz told MarketWatch. Instead, “they want to take this from the perspective of leveling the playing field across socio-economic groups. They should attack each problem on its own instead of trying to say, here’s a pot of money.”

Representatives of another financial market regulator, the Commodities Futures Trading Commission, did not respond to requests for comment. The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority declined to comment.

The idea of providing health-care coverage, as Harris sets out to do in her Medicare For All proposal, is a sound one, Blitz said. “But the solution to health care is really getting a stronger and younger work force.”

Kamala Harris 1Qk4U7p

Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 6:59 am

Published 1 hour ago
Harris seeks end to executions, cash bail, private prisons
Associated Press

Former Kamala Harris opponent: She has a glass jaw and last night's debate proved it

Former California GOP Chair Tom Del Beccaro, who ran against Harris for Senate in 2016, says the presidential hopeful does not perform well when being put on the spot.

WASHINGTON-- California Sen. Kamala Harris, whose record as a prosecutor has been under scrutiny since she entered the presidential race, has unveiled a criminal justice plan that calls for abolishing the death penalty, ending cash bail and collecting more data on officer-involved shootings.

Harris condemns the death penalty as "immoral, discriminatory, ineffective, and a gross misuse of taxpayer dollars."

The California Democrat also calls for eliminating mandatory minimum sentencing at the federal level and ending the use of private prisons as well as solitary confinement.

Harris says a national standard should be established to allow the use of deadly force only when "necessary" and when no reasonable alternatives are available. She also wants to create a National Police Systems Review Board, which would collect data and review police shootings and cases of alleged severe misconduct. The board would issue recommendations and implement safety standards based on evidence revealed in reviews.

Harris' plan comes in the same week that Democrats are set to meet for the third presidential primary debates, the first with all leading candidates sharing the same stage. During the round of debates in July, Harris found herself on the defensive as former Vice President Joe Biden and Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard attacked her record as a prosecutor. Gabbard focused on Harris' stance on the death penalty and said Harris had "blocked evidence" that could have helped "innocent people" on death row.

Harris spent seven years as district attorney for San Francisco and six years as the state's attorney general, the first black woman in that position. As a prosecutor, she tended to defend the status quo or take a cautious approach to reforms rather than advocate for bold changes. While some now question the timing of her call for criminal justice reforms, her supporters say she was expected as an official to represent the government and uphold the law.

Her campaign has sought to cast her as a change agent, dedicated to improving a flawed system from the inside. In her stump speech, she argues that she is uniquely qualified to "prosecute the case" against President Donald Trump, who she says has a long "rap sheet."

Harris was not the only candidate pressed on her criminal justice record in the second round of debates. New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker ripped into Biden and suggested that the former senator -- a longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and for several years its chairman -- is partly responsible for the criminal justice system that he is seeking to reform as a presidential candidate.
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 am

Published 8 hours ago
Kamala Harris asks audience if America is 'ready' for her presidency, crowd shouts 'No'
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn | Fox News

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., may have had what some are calling her "please clap" moment on Thursday when she got a not so favorable response to the question if America was "ready" for her to be president.

Speaking at a town hall event in Reno, Nev., Harris told attendees she wanted to "engage in real talk" about the state of the 2020 race.

"In this election, in the last couple- I mean, maybe couple of months, certainly a few weeks, there's this whole conversation that has been coming up about electability focused on our campaign," Harris said. "Is America ready for that?"

Steve Guest
✔
@SteveGuest
Not a good sign for Kamala Harris.

When Harris asked if America was ready for her presidency, the crowd shouted, "no."

America doesn't want someone to be President who will destroy private healthcare, destroy the 2nd amendment, & regulate what you eat.

2:21 PM - Oct 3, 2019
338 people are talking about this
https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1179854045546201088

Several audience members were then heard responding "No" throughout the room, with Harris visibly shocked by what she heard.

"Well, yes they are," Harris told the crowd, sparking some laughter.

The exchange received mockery on social media, many comparing it to the memorable moment from the 2016 election when former Gov. Jeb Bush, R-Fla., urged a crowd at a campaign stop to "please clap."

Harris has seen a dramatic drop in the polls in recent weeks. In the latest Fox News poll, she received 7 percent of support among likely Democratic voters, while former Vice President Joe Biden maintains a double-digit lead with 29 percent while Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., has 18 percent support and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., 16 percent.

Video at https://www.foxnews.com/media/kamala-harris-asks-audience-if-america-is-ready-for-her-presidency-crowd-shouts-no
Back to top Go down
Temple
Temple

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Kamala Harris introduces bill to extend school days by 3 hours   Kamala Harris EmptyWed Nov 06, 2019 11:10 pm

1 hour ago

Kamala Harris introduces bill to extend school days by 3 hours

"My bill provides an innovative solution that will help reduce the burden of child care on working families. It is time we modernize the school schedule to better meet the needs of our students and their families."

The "first-of-its-kind pilot program" is designed to help low-income and working families who can’t afford to pay for child care.
It would give schools resources to stay open during the school year for the entire work day and invest more than $1 billion in "enriching summer learning programs," but it would not force teachers to work longer hours or for less pay, Harris said.

The bill "does not mandate how schools implement the program so long as they stay open until 6pm," Harris' spokeswoman Meaghan Lynch told Fox News. "Schools have the flexibility to determine what works best for their community, and the students and their families," Lynch said.

The big picture: The average school day begins at approximately 8:10 a.m. and lasts for about 6.5 hours, per the National Center for Education Statistics. Less than half of U.S. public elementary schools have no formal after-school program available for students, a 2009 Education Department report shows.
Back to top Go down
Temple
Temple

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Kamala Harris -- Vad Mean Woman !   Kamala Harris EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 9:07 pm

Politics
Kamala Harris suffers new blow as aide resigns with scathing letter: 'I've never seen staff treated so poorly'
November 29, 2019

In the letter, dated 11 November, Ms Mehlenbacher said that
"neither the campaign manager or the chair" had addressed the staff "to explain, apologise or reassure" those who remain.

Staffers and allies within the campaign also criticised Ms Harris for retreating against Democratic rivals without clear messaging as to whether she straddles the moderate or progressive side of the party's current ideological divide, according to the report.

As for her platform, Ms Harris also has faced criticism for not having a clear health care plan, which has become central to top-polling Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders, and for poorly manoeuvring a progressive criminal justice plan while answering for her record as a prosecutor.

The letter reads: "Because we have refused to confront our mistakes, foster an environment of critical thinking, and honest feedback, or trust the expertise of talented staff, we find ourselves making the same unforced errors over and over."

Ms Mehlenbacher said, "I have never seen an organisation treat its staff so poorly ... I no longer have confidence in our campaign or its leadership. The treatment of our staff over the last two weeks was the final straw."

She said it was "unacceptable" to move campaign staff from Washington DC to headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland, "only to lay them off without notice" with "no plan for the campaign" and "without thoughtful consideration of the personal consequences to them or the consequences that their absence would have on the remaining staff."

Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 pm

Back to top Go down
Sara
Sara

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Now we need a bunch more of them to drop out so we can focus on reality. Remember last time, when there were too many Republicans running? The double-tiered debates, etc.? It's ridiculous. We're within a year of the election - let's get down to actual business.
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Kamala Harris RQVa0BU

Kamala Harris 1Qk4U7p

Back to top Go down
Temple
Temple

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Sara wrote:
Now we need a bunch more of them to drop out so we can focus on reality. Remember last time, when there were too many Republicans running? The double-tiered debates, etc.? It's ridiculous. We're within a year of the election - let's get down to actual business.

I will not miss her..
I'm glad ms. irritating is gone.
She had a horrible voice to listen too.
and a fukup name ..

Another good thing; I won't have to vote for her !

Kamala Harris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kamala Harris   Kamala Harris Empty

Back to top Go down

Kamala Harris
Page 1 of 1