OOTIKOF / KATZENJAMMER

The OOTIKOF, an internationally renowned society of flamers since 1998, invites you to join in the fun.
Clicking on Casual Banter will get you to all the sections.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Clinton Emails: Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Temple
Temple

Clinton Emails: Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents. Empty
PostSubject: Clinton Emails: Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents.   Clinton Emails: Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents. EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 2:37 am

2-8-2022

After Crusade Against Hillary Clinton Emails, GOP Silent
On Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents.

A constant theme of the 2016 election was the Republican belief that Hillary Clinton was a criminal because she used a private email server for government business as secretary of state.

“Lock her up!” and “Hillary for prison” chants and signs were mainstays at Donald Trump’s campaign rallies. Trump’s nickname for his Democratic opponent was “Crooked Hillary.”

One of her most persistent critics was Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), who used his powerful perch as chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee to keep on
the case of Clinton’s emails.

But on Tuesday, Johnson had no comment when HuffPost asked him about revelations that Trump literally ripped up government documents that he was supposed to preserve as president.

The Presidential Records Act requires the White House to preserve documents related to a president’s official duties.
Those materials should have been handed over to the National Archives when Trump left office.

But last month, the agency retrieved 15 boxes from his Mar-a-Lago residence, according to The Washington Post.
Trump’s team continues to search for more documents.

Trump also frequently ripped up documents as president ―  
Some of the records received by the National Archives had been torn and taped back together.

Republican senators were far less willing to go after Trump Tuesday than they had been against Clinton for her private
email server.

“I know there are legal requirements,
but I really don’t know enough to comment,”
Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said.

Yet in 2015, Cornyn was very concerned about Clinton’s server, saying it “raises serious concerns for Americans who believe in open government and the accountability of our highest officials.”

“I can’t comment on that. I don’t know about that,” Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) similarly said Tuesday. He, too, was deeply concerned about the proper handling of government information when it came to Clinton.

Temple

Clinton Emails: Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clinton Emails: Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents.   Clinton Emails: Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents. EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 2:49 am

2-8-2022

Former president Donald Trump's destruction of documents didn't just violate the Presidential Records Act — it was part of a cover-up related to the Capitol insurrection.

"Trump's defense is, 'Well, I ran my business this way. I used to evidently tear up records .
"That is not a defense! You're the president of the United States. There are laws.

There was a law passed to deal expressly with this after President Nixon's attempted destruction of documents and the like.
It's called the Presidential Records Act, and it's very clear.

"It's not just the planning of Jan. 6. It's not just Jan. 6 itself, but it's the cover-up afterward," he added.

"Donald Trump is part of that, first by tearing up these documents like a toddler — he did that incompetently, they were able to piece a lot of these documents back together at the National Archives.
So then he exerted executive privilege over these documents. He lost that 8-1 at the Supreme Court.

Clinton Emails: Trump Ripping Up & Burning Documents.
Page 1 of 1