OOTIKOF / KATZENJAMMER

The OOTIKOF, an internationally renowned society of flamers since 1998, invites you to join in the fun.
Clicking on Casual Banter will get you to all the sections.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Temple
Temple

GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut Empty
PostSubject: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyTue Dec 06, 2022 6:50 pm

12-6-2022

GOP Lawmaker Says Programs Like Social Security Are “Garbage” That Must Be Cut
Republicans are warning that Social Security, Medicare
and SNAP could be on the cutting board soon.

As Republicans prepare to wage a war on crucial anti-poverty programs when they take control of the House, using the debt limit and major risks to the economy as a weapon, some members of the GOP are threatening to vote against raising the debt limit no matter what.

Several Republicans are saying that they will still vote against a bill raising the debt limit even if Republicans get all of their fringe demands – namely, cuts to social programs, among other things — put into the legislation.

Failing to raise the debt limit before the expected deadline of the first quarter of 2023 would have disastrous consequences for the economy. The U.S. would be at risk of defaulting on its payments, which would ruin the nation’s credit worthiness and could trigger a recession at a time when the state of the economy is already precarious, especially for the working class.

Other Republicans are saying that they will only vote for the legislation if it includes cuts to popular social programs that keep tens of millions of people above the poverty line each year.

One GOP lawmaker went so far as to disparage social programs as “garbage.”

Sen. John Thune said that a potential debt default is an _ _ _ _“opportunity” to push the GOP priority.

“There’s a lot of fat and garbage that’s way off the mission that we can cut,” Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas), answered
“hell no” when asked if he would support a package that didn’t cut federal discretionary programs like Social Security and Medicare.

The fact that not raising the debt limit comes with such huge risks is precisely why Republicans are planning to use it as leverage to force through their priorities, as they’ve been threatening to do for months now.
It would be especially politically expedient for them to do so with a Democrat in the White House who they can use as a scapegoat. Cutting extremely popular social programs under Joe Biden could also be a weapon for the party to use against Democrats later, bending the truth to make it seem as though Biden was responsible for the cuts.

Though Republicans often say that they refuse to raise the debt limit because they oppose spending bills, this line of reasoning is based on a false premise.

The debt limit does not authorize new spending;
rather, the debt limit is raised in order to accommodate spending that has already been promised by the government.

Some progressives argue, as a result, that the debt ceiling should be abolished altogether in order to prevent future standoffs that could potentially wreck the economy.

Cutting social programs would be devastating for beneficiaries and would have ripple effects across the entire economy.
Social Security and Medicare are among the country’s most effective anti-poverty programs, while SNAP is the country’s most potent federal anti-hunger program, providing access to food for tens of millions of residents in the U.S. Since Republicans are generally opposed to programs that help the working class —

while supporting absurdly high budgets for things like the Pentagon — cutting social programs like Social Security has been on the party’s priority list for many years now.

Republicans could have a chance to do so if Democrats don’t take action to prevent the GOP’s threat of economic brinkmanship. Senate Republicans have laid out a plan to use the debt limit, which must overcome the 60-vote filibuster threshold to pass, to force cuts to social programs, viewing the legislation as an “opportunity” to do so.

Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyTue Dec 06, 2022 6:51 pm

Similar topics
-
» GOP Plans To Gut Social Security and Medicare
» No More Social Security- Cruel Cut For Elderly..
» Will Joe Biden Cut Social Security Benefits?

GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut 1Qk4U7p

Back to top Go down
https://ootikof.forumotion.com
Grackle

Grackle

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyTue Dec 06, 2022 7:47 pm

Quote :

Kinda makes ya wonder what "GOP lawmaker says" that, huh? ...or no? .. Must be a GOP lawmaker forewarning what the GOP plans to do to fuck the poor ...because...fuck you
... Must be some kinda GOP lawmaker spy...an implant... A DNC operative spilling the beans to the press

Wonder where Temple found that article ... lol
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyTue Dec 06, 2022 7:55 pm

Grackle wrote:
Quote :

Kinda makes ya wonder what "GOP lawmaker says" that, huh? ...or no? .. Must be a GOP lawmaker forewarning what the GOP plans to do to fuck the poor ...because...fuck you
... Must be some kinda GOP lawmaker spy...an implant... A DNC operative spilling the beans to the press

Wonder where Temple found that article ... lol

Prolly some left wing dumpsite like https://democrats.org

example:

https://democrats.org/news/republicans-triple-down-on-threat-to-force-cuts-to-social-security-medicare/

Back to top Go down
Temple
Temple

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyTue Dec 06, 2022 9:33 pm

Just a friendly heads up for the seniors---
I and family have no fear of SS and programs.
Perhaps you do, so informing you..
It's been on the republican table for a loooong time.
Do your research..

Grackle

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyThu Dec 08, 2022 5:21 am

Temple wrote:

Just a friendly heads up for the seniors---
I and family have no fear of SS and programs.
Perhaps you do, so informing you..
It's been on the republican table for a loooong time.
Do your research..

How lucky are we to have temple here posting with us .. Privileged really

I'm thinkin Temple might be a congressman incognito ... Possibly even a member of the administration .. How else could he have such a wealth of political knowledge to draw from? ..And what's so unbelievably cool about him is that he willingly and openly shares it with us few lowly, down trodden posters on this outta the way message board ... Far from the big tech environment i know he's better suited for ..

. I believe its his honest generosity and selflessness that causes him to actually *want* to help those of us who are clearly far lesser than himself .. Some days i come here and reapeatedly reset the screen, waiting, hoping for him to arrive and start his threads of enlightenment ... I learned that word from him...enlightenment...his humble way of letting me know he just taught me something that I'll find to be of extreme value when i figure it out

I bet he has all kindsa security clearance too.. He seems to have military in his background.. I imagine he moved quickly up through the ranks ..probably a military advisor and/or strategist now ... He certainly knows many things besides politics

I'll stop bragging about him so as not to embarrass him.. .he's really humble, sometimes even shy about his prowess in the world ... Anyway

I wish Obi would stop fucking merging his threads and moving his thread starters around .. Damn! .. And he's got PILES of Temple's missives in that sticky thread of his... Prolly squirreled up there to learn from them in his own

And this friggin Oliver .. Memes he posts...memes and jokes..wise ass quips in reply to Temple's tireless attempts to help us..enlighten us..share his vast knowledge ... You guys don't appreciate a damn thing he does for you... Its why he likes me so much better than you guys.. He's taken me under his wing... In fact, i don't think he likes you guys at all after your antics ..welp your loss .. I'm gonna see what kinda genius he posted recently and compliment it .. He likes that Smile

Back to top Go down
Temple
Temple

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyThu Dec 08, 2022 5:21 pm

Grack--you can not control yourself, you hump on every one of my posts like
an addicted puppy-- It's weird having a person addicted to me, creepy actually.
What would your life be without me, sigh..
Be good now or I'll sic the 8 million people on you..

Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyThu Dec 08, 2022 7:57 pm

Temple wrote:

6429 people. Get it right.

Back to top Go down
Grackle

Grackle

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyThu Dec 08, 2022 11:03 pm

Temple wrote:
Grack--you can not control yourself,

Blaaa it was funny ... Who's gonna amuse me? ... It's become obvious that i hafta amuse myself while I'm here....Granted it's usually at your expense, but it's hard getting material ...80-90% of the posts are copy & pasted articles that anyone can read around on the net ...little to no exchange or dialog ... WTF .. Political news is literally everywhere .. I would think if you guys wanna drag it here you might at least wanna discuss maybe one or two outta the load now and then..but you guys just paste one after another ...it's as if you're too pressed for time to type a comment of your own in between articles.... I don't see the point

Back to top Go down
Temple
Temple

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut EmptyThu Dec 08, 2022 11:29 pm

The Wise And Powerful wrote:
Temple wrote:

6429 people. Get it right.

As does one.... Basketball

PostSubject: Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut   GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut Empty

Back to top Go down

GOP Lawmaker Says Social Security Is “Garbage” That Must Be Cut
Page 1 of 1