OOTIKOF / KATZENJAMMER

The OOTIKOF, an internationally renowned society of flamers since 1998, invites you to join in the fun.
Clicking on Casual Banter will get you to all the sections.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Retro Stuff

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Retro Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Retro Stuff   Retro Stuff EmptySun May 29, 2022 2:29 am

Send In The Clowns

Send in the Clowns is by far the most popular video on YouRememberThat.com with 5.6 million views as of 3/10/2016. Such a classic video with all the great actors and actresses like Milton Berle, Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball, Jerry Lewis, and Jackie Gleason to name just a few like Abbott and Costello, Arte Johnson, Carol Burnett, Charlie Chaplin, Dean Martin, Dom DeLuise, Ed Wynn, Ernie Kovacs, Flip Wilson, Frank Sinatra, George Burns, Gracie Allen, Imogene Coca, Jack Benny, Jackie Gleason, Jerry Lewis, Jimmy Durante, Jonathan Winters, Lucille Ball, Martha Raye, Marty Feldman, Mickey Rooney, Milton Berle, Orson Wells, Phil Silvers, Phyllis Diller, Red Skelton, Ruth Buzzi, send in the clowns, Sid Caesar. An all time favorite of many to be sure.

Back to top Go down
https://ootikof.forumotion.com
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Retro Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro Stuff   Retro Stuff EmptySun May 29, 2022 2:34 am

Dish Night At The Movies
STEVE  APRIL 15, 2021

Back in the depression era, money was extremely tight. Movie theaters lowered prices to as low as a dime, but it wasn’t until they introduced dish night that started bringing in full houses. Many of the dish and china companies were going out of business but many of the survived because of this promotion. The give-a-way was mostly to women and each week it was a different piece. My mom went every week and was able to put together a full collection. The promotion ran through the 40’s and even the 50’s. There were many patterns offered by the various theaters across the county.

Another dish give-a-way was by supermarket chains during the late 70’s. My mom’s story about collecting a full china set for free enticed me when the Finast Supermarkets gave away china each week with a purchase. I was unable to complete the set when I joined the Navy in 1977 but my mom completed it for me while I served our country. Many other food chains across the country gave away china during this timeframe.

With Covid keeping movie goers away for over a year, maybe dish night will make a comeback!

Retro Stuff Movie-Dish-Give-Away
Mom’s china from the 30’s and 40’s dish night at the movies.

Retro Stuff My-china
My china from Finast Supermarket back in the late 70’s.
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Retro Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro Stuff   Retro Stuff EmptySun May 29, 2022 2:39 am

Glassware Give-A-Ways
STEVE  APRIL 16, 2021

I just posted about dish night at the movie theaters back in the 30’s and 40’s posting pictures of what my mom collected along with dish promotions at supermarkets during the late 70’s. It reminded me of the glassware my mom collected through Duz laundry detergent. We kids had Cracker Jacks with a free prize inside and mom had Duz! During the 50’s Duz gave away towels and during the 60’s moved to glassware. I found pictures of the two styles we had in our home mom collected and share it with my brothers who were excited as I to see them again. They are the two in the top of the picture.

The bottom left picture were the glasses Shell Gas gave away during the 70’s and the bottom right photo was the Welch’s Jelly jars that became your free glassware!

I have four brothers so a family of seven had to make the dollar stretch. So if you had buy laundry detergent make it Duz for a free glass. Fill up the gas tank? Get another free glass. Buy jelly? Again, get a free glass. There were many other glass give-a-ways. How about the McDonald character glassware with a meal purchase? I have those tucked away in the attic! What give-a-way do your remember?

Retro Stuff Combined
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Retro Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro Stuff   Retro Stuff EmptySun May 29, 2022 2:41 am

Buster Brown Shoe
STEVE MARCH 27, 2021

Richard F. Outcault created the Buster Brown comic strip in 1902 which first appeared in the New York Herald. Buster was named after Buster Keaton who was at the time a child vaudeville actor. In 1904 Outcault went to the St. Louis World Fair, selling licenses for the character and the Brown Shoe Company purchased the and introduced to the Buster Brown Shoe Company to the world at the fair. In the 40’s and 50’s Buster Brown Shoes introduced a comic book as a give-a-way, prompting the stores to rubber stamp their business name and address on the comic book.

Many of you may remember the jingle

“I’m Buster Brown, and I live in a shoe. That’s my dog, Tige, and he lives there, too,” Tige was a pit-bull terrier and his sister’s name was Mary Jane.

In 2015, the company rebranded as Calares which in Latin means passion. You may know them today as Naturalizer, Dr. Scholl’s Shoes, LifeStride, Bzees, and Rykä.

Retro Stuff Buster-Brown-Easter
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Retro Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro Stuff   Retro Stuff EmptySun May 29, 2022 2:43 am

20 Mule Borax Team Show
STEVE JANUARY 20, 2021

In 1918 when this was posted in the Bridgeport Telegram (Connecticut) radio was yet to become popular. This was in essence an infomercial, a pretty big deal in it’s day. A visit to your town from the 20 Mule Borax Team with free entertainment, along with free samples of their laundry detergent, who could pass this up?

The Pacific Coast Borax Company adopted the the 20 mule team as it’s logo back in 1890 and the mule team was featured on the top of every box of soap flakes . Mules were used to extract the chemical borax from the mines of Death Valley between 1883 to 1889, this was before the train came to the west. Mules were used because they are less stubborn than donkeys and ate less than horses. Teams were often hitched in 80 foot chains hauling over 35 tons across 165 miles of the Mohave Dessert on less than ideal roads.

In 1916 the company sent the 20 mule team on a cross country trip promoting the brand. They started in California to Nevada. From there they were loaded on trains to Washington D.C. The team was even in the 1917 inaugural parade for Woodrow Wilson. Driving the team were colorfully name characters like Borax Bill or as in this advertisement Tarantula Pete usually reminiscing the ole west. You can still purchase their Borax 20 Mule Team to this very day!

Retro Stuff 1918-05-08-Bpt-Telegram-Borax2
Back to top Go down
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Retro Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro Stuff   Retro Stuff EmptySun May 29, 2022 2:44 am

President Wilson Burns Hand On Tank
STEVE JULY 22, 2020

To help promote a drive for Americans to buy war bonds the British tank Britannia was parked near the White House. This was before TV. Most news was on newsreels played at the movie theaters, a luxury for many. So not many people knew what a tank was. On April 19, 1918, President Woodrow Wilson was wounded in action while posing for photo opp. After inspecting inside the tank, the president exited the hatch of the tank and grabbed the hot exhaust, burning his hand. He smiled and exited to the east gate.

The president wore a bandage and then a white glove for many weeks. Wilson, an avid golfer did have to stop golfing for a couple of weeks, and then just with his left-hand weeks afterward. His wife Edith was quoted as saying “Woodrow is becoming the greatest one-armed champion of the world!

Retro Stuff Wilson-burns-hand-1-1200x873
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Retro Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro Stuff   Retro Stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Retro Stuff
Page 1 of 1