OOTIKOF / KATZENJAMMER

The OOTIKOF, an internationally renowned society of flamers since 1998, invites you to join in the fun.
Clicking on Casual Banter will get you to all the sections.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Major announcement from McCarthy!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Major announcement from McCarthy! Empty
PostSubject: Major announcement from McCarthy!   Major announcement from McCarthy! EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 6:20 pm

Major announcement from McCarthy! 1Qk4U7p

Back to top Go down
https://ootikof.forumotion.com
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Major announcement from McCarthy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Major announcement from McCarthy!   Major announcement from McCarthy! EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 6:21 pm

McCarthy Slaps Down Zelensky’s Invite To Ukraine; “No Blank Checks, I Don’t Need To See Ukraine”
By Chris, March 8, 2023

Earlier this week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky invited House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to visit Ukraine to see the situation on the ground first hand.

“Mr. McCarthy, he has to come here to see how we work, what’s happening here, what war caused us, which people are fighting now, who are fighting now. And then after that, make your assumptions,” Zelensky said to CNN.

“I think that Speaker McCarthy, he never visited Kyiv or Ukraine, and I think it would help him with his position,” Zelensky mentioned.

McCarthy told CNN on Tuesday that he has no plans to visit the country. McCarthy has expressed his support for Ukraine, but emphasized that he does not advocate for an open-ended commitment, rightfully so.

McCarthy said, “Let’s be very clear about what I said: no blank checks, OK? So, from that perspective, I don’t have to go to Ukraine to understand where there’s a blank check or not. I will continue to get my briefings and others, but I don’t have to go to Ukraine or Kyiv to see it. And my point has always been, I won’t provide a blank check for anything.”

House Speaker McCarthy has faced the challenge of having differing opinions within his party regarding providing additional assistance to Ukraine. While there is widespread bipartisan support for the country in Congress, a few House Republicans have advocated for an end to further military and financial aid.

Zelenksy has made an effort to prioritize a bipartisan support for Ukraine.

As the one-year anniversary of the war in Ukraine passed, the Republican Party has been divided over whether the U.S. should continue to aid Ukraine, and if so, how much?. The party has been publicly critical of Joe Biden’s surprise visit to Ukraine, after reiterating calls to end military and financial aid to the country.

The topic of Ukraine funding will be front and center when both spending fights and presidential politics heat up later this year. Since the start of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Congress has appropriated over a $100 billion in resources to the country. Public support for Ukrainian aid is declining and it will be interesting to see what House Republicans do from here on out.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s decision not to visit Ukraine may have some impact on the perception of the United States’ commitment to the country, particularly among Ukrainians who are looking for tangible support from their allies in the West. His decision is also symbolic of the party’s perspective after over a year of fighting.

However, McCarthy’s decision not to visit Ukraine does not necessarily reflect a lack of support for the country. He has been vocal in his support for providing aid to Ukraine and has pushed back against calls to end military and financial assistance to the country. McCarthy has also reaffirmed the United States’ commitment to a strong transatlantic alliance and helping Ukraine.

It is worth noting that not all members of Congress may be able to visit Ukraine due to logistical or security concerns. Additionally, in-person visits are just one way of showing support for a country. The United States can provide support through various means such as military and financial aid, diplomatic efforts, and other forms of assistance, given that Biden had to make a “surprise” visit.

While McCarthy’s decision not to visit Ukraine may have some impact on perceptions of U.S. support for the country, it is not necessarily indicative of a lack of commitment. The United States can provide support for Ukraine through various means, and the commitment to Ukraine’s defense against Russian aggression remains an important priority for the U.S. government.

Major announcement from McCarthy! 1Qk4U7p

Back to top Go down
https://ootikof.forumotion.com

Major announcement from McCarthy!
Page 1 of 1