OOTIKOF / KATZENJAMMER

The OOTIKOF, an internationally renowned society of flamers since 1998, invites you to join in the fun.
Clicking on Casual Banter will get you to all the sections.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Temples' misleading sig message

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Wise And Powerful
Admin
Admin
The Wise And Powerful

Temples' misleading sig message Empty
PostSubject: Temples' misleading sig message   Temples' misleading sig message EmptyMon Oct 03, 2022 9:27 pm

Solar Community in Ft. Myers-
FL Never Lost Power During Hurricane Ian.

Truth is, the town of 2000 people is 12 miles from Fort Meyers. Only newsworthy on a few leftie media outlets.

The real story:

https://www.floridaforboomers.com/babcock-ranch-hurricane-ian/

Babcock Ranch Makes National Headlines After Hurricane Ian
by Ryan Erisman | Updated: October 3, 2022

Temples' misleading sig message Babcock-ranch-entry-sign

Babcock Ranch, a solar-powered community located about 12 miles inland from Fort Myers in Southwest Florida, is in the headlines at places like CNN, The Atlantic, and more after Hurricane Ian.

One of the fastest selling communities in the nation…they had 714 new home sales in 2021…Babcock Ranch is an all-ages community (anyone can live there) but it has a lot of amenities that appeal to retirees that make up our readership here.

Why it Matters: According to community residents and the developer, the community of roughly 2,000 homes never lost power, experienced no flooding, and sustained minimal damage.

The Big Picture: The community is situated on approximately 18,000 acres, adjacent to an extensive wilderness preserve (Babcock Ranch Preserve).

An 870-acre solar farm run through a partnership with Florida Power & Light (FPL) powers some of the community. Fiber optic internet and power lines are all run underground to minimize their susceptibility to winds and flying debris.

On the developer's website they have a “Storm Ready” pdf highlighting some of the keys to their resiliency. Just a few of them are:

All development is beyond the reach of coastal storm surge – at elevations of 25 feet or more above sea level

The surface water management system takes advantage of the natural systems and historic drainage flow ways that have been weathering storms for years

Storm building codes are the key ingredients of a resilient community — Babcock Ranch requires all structures to be rated to withstand winds of up to 145 miles per hour.

Even the landscaping is storm ready, with heavy reliance on native plants that are best suited to withstand the Southwest Florida storm (and fire) cycles

The community even opened up their neighborhood school to evacuees.

What They're Saying
The first article I saw Babcock Ranch's hurricane results mentioned in was this article in the Atlantic. The writer had interviewed the Babcock Ranch developer, Syd Kitson, for an article a few years ago, and quickly caught up with him after Hurricane Ian passed through:

I ended my Cape Coral story with a trip to Babcock Ranch, a new solar-powered, smart-growth, flood-protected community a half-hour inland that was conceived as Florida’s sustainable city of the future. I checked in with the developer, Syd Kitson, after Babcock took a direct hit from Ian, and he had good news: “The power and internet never went off, no flooding and minimal damage,” Kitson wrote. “It’s everything you and I talked about several years ago.”

– Michael Grunwald writing in The Atlantic

The next day I saw an interesting spike in traffic to my Babcock Ranch community review. I did a quick search and saw this article on the homepage of CNN. About the developer, the article states:

Even Kitson chose to ride out the storm in Babcock to see how the community would fare in the hurricane. Kitson declined CNN’s request for an interview; (company spokesperson, Lisa) Hall said he is focused on helping neighboring communities rebuild. “He was there during the storm; he said, ‘where else would I be?’” Hall said. “We built it to be resilient and as much as you plan and think you’ve done the right thing, you don’t know until you put it to the test.”

Rachel Ramirez, CNN

Living in Babcock Ranch
Babcock Ranch features a variety of neighborhoods from different home builders, and prices generally range from the $300's to over $2M. There are condos, townhouses, and single family homes.
Back to top Go down
https://ootikof.forumotion.com
oliver clotheshoffe
oliver clotheshoffe

PostSubject: Re: Temples' misleading sig message   Temples' misleading sig message EmptyTue Oct 04, 2022 9:56 am

Sounds like a great place to live. As an added bonus a hurricane comes through every now and again and blows the homeless over into Georgia.
Back to top Go down
Temple
Temple

PostSubject: Re: Temples' misleading sig message   Temples' misleading sig message EmptyTue Oct 04, 2022 7:59 pm

10-3-2022

This 100% solar community endured Hurricane Ian with no loss of power and minimal damage.

Babcock Ranch calls itself "America's first solar-powered town." Its nearby solar array —
made up of 700,000 individual panels —
generates more electricity than the 2,000-home neighborhood uses,
in a state where most electricity is generated by burning natural gas, a planet-warming fossil fuel.

The streets in this meticulously planned neighborhood were designed to flood so houses don't. Native landscaping along roads helps control storm water. Power and internet lines are buried to avoid wind damage. This is all in addition to being built to Florida's robust building codes.

The bridge leading from Fort Myers to Pine Island, Fla., is heavily damaged in the aftermath of Hurricane IanFeds vow major aid for Hurricane Ian victims amid rescues
Some residents, like Grande, installed more solar panels on their roofs and added battery systems as
an extra layer of protection from power outages. Many drive electric vehicles, taking full advantage of solar energy in the Sunshine State.

Climate resiliency was built into the fabric of the town with stronger storms in mind.

So when Hurricane Ian came barreling toward southwest Florida this week, it was a true test for the community.
The storm obliterated the nearby Fort Myers and Naples areas with record-breaking surge and winds over 100 mph.

It knocked out power to more than 2.6 million customers
in the state, including 90% of Charlotte County.
But the lights stayed on in Babcock Ranch.

"It certainly exceeded our expectations of a major hurricane," Grande, 58, told CNN.

"We have proof of the case now because [the hurricane] came right over us," Nancy Chorpenning, a 68-year-old Babcock Ranch resident, told CNN. "We have water, electricity, internet —
and we may be the only people in Southwest Florida who are that fortunate."

Back to top Go down
oliver clotheshoffe
oliver clotheshoffe

PostSubject: Re: Temples' misleading sig message   Temples' misleading sig message EmptyWed Oct 05, 2022 8:43 am

Way to copy TWAP's poast there Temple Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Temple
Temple

PostSubject: Re: Temples' misleading sig message   Temples' misleading sig message EmptyWed Oct 05, 2022 5:02 pm

oliver clotheshoffe wrote:
Way to copy TWAP's poast there Temple  Very Happy

I like mine better---
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temples' misleading sig message   Temples' misleading sig message Empty

Back to top Go down

Temples' misleading sig message
Page 1 of 1